Wednesday, June 25, 2008

I'm a Born Again Christian & I'm Voting For Obama!

Dr. James Dobson does not speak for me, an evangelical Christian. He does not interpret the Bible on my behalf. On the contrary, when I think about Focus on the Family and Dr. Dobson, I am reminded of Matthew, Chapter 6, vs. 5, "And when thou prayest, thou shalt not be as the hypocrites are: for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and in the corners of the streets, that they may be seen of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward." (King James Version.) I listen to Focus on the Family nearly everyday, and it has occurred to me that whatever message Dr. Dobson tries to convey ends up being a completely self adulating story. Today was the last day I will have listened to Focus on the Family.
When Dr. Dobson rediculed U.S. Senator Barack Obama's "distortion of the Bible," and the Senator's "fruitcake interpretation of the {U.S.} Constitution," he offended me, not as a Democrat, but as a Christian. He offended me as a born again child of the Living God. When did evangelicals relinquish our brain cells? When was it decided that belief in the Holy Bible as the infallible Word of God would be confined to one particular dogma? Hey, I didn't get that memo. Dr. Dobson does not speak for me as a Christian, as an American, as anything. Quite frankly I am ashamed that too many of my brothers and sisters in Christ follow Dr. Dobson blindly down a very broad and dangerous road.
If I wasn't certain prior to today which presidential candidate would ultimately win my vote, I am now very adamant, and ironically, Dr. Dobson can take credit for the epiphany. I will give my vote to the candidate who speaks of healing and peace. I will vote for Barack Obama. If the Lord comes back before I have to cast that vote, all the better.

No comments: