Monday, August 25, 2008

The Future That Was?


Do you have one of these in your town? This little machine has its home inside of Dean's Pharmacy in the heart of Brooksville, Kentucky. For a quarter, you can get a character reading and at the same time find out about your future.
I haven't dropped my quarter into it. What if it says I don't have any character? That wouldn't be good.
I don't know how old this machine is, and neither does the pharmacist. It was here before he took over the store, and he just kept it, probably because he didn't know what else to do with it. It'll probably be in the building for another 85 years. Things change very slowly in Bracken County, Kentucky, USA.

Knowing that, I wonder if this little machine ever predicted the end of the Cold War, or the Beijing Olympics? I wonder what the future was that it predicted? I wonder... but I'm really afraid to ask.



No comments: