Saturday, July 12, 2008

The Beginnings of Discussions on Theology

I have always been fascinated by theology. It's a very dangerous topic and not one I visit lightly. I'm not a theology scholar, although my daughter has a masters degree in it, and she is always sure that the rest of us have misinformed opinions. I study theology because I want to know God. So many people seem to know a great deal about God, but I'm often bewildered by the fact that they do not KNOW God. They do not appear to have any kind of personal relationship with Him; the concept is not logical to them. They question how something supernatural can have a "relationship" with someone in the natural. It tests the limits of their imagination.

I've been studying Calvinism over the past several years. Ten years ago, I thought Calvinism was reserved for people who, well, let's just say see themselves as set apart from the rest of us. I've learned over and over all about God's sense of humor that's wrapped up in that marvelous irresistible grace that is always sufficient. Thus, today I see this form of theology as very liberating. It gives back to God what has always been His.
We know that we are born into sinful world, that even in the innocence of infancy, we are sinful merely because sin has separated us from God. We know, as Christians, that He calls us to Him with no conditions. He doesn't call the qualified but qualifies the called. Unless we embrace universalism, atonement is limited to those who repent of our sins and call upon Him as Lord. His grace is irresistible, because He is all powerful. He rules the universe, and in so doing, how can it be possible to ignore His call? Finally, for those who are covered by the blood of Jesus, losing our salvation is just too much fathom.

The an acronym for Calvinism is T.U.L.I.P..
  1. Total depravity of man
  2. Unconditional election
  3. Limited atonement
  4. Irresistible grace
  5. Perseverance of the saints

I am going to write more about this as the days go by, to share my thoughts on why I've evolved to embrace this theology. My pastor and I seem to have this discussion every Sunday, and I walk away laughing, while he walks away scratching his head. Here's the key that turns the lock: God is omnipotent. If He is omnipotent and His grace unlimited, God cannot be limited by human characteristics! In the future, I'm going to include Scriptures that I believe support these five tenants.

Again, I am not a theologian or scholar. I'm just like everybody else, waiting on the Lord and walking toward home. I'm hoping people will visit and leave comments so I can learn from them and maybe everyone else can too.

No comments: